Days of Wednesdays Past

One of my favorite things about the middle of the week used to be the new comics released on Wednesday. I would finish work and head over to Comics For Collectors and drop $30-40 every week on new comics.

It seems so long ago now.

I used to love heading out to get my comics. It wasn't just getting new books; it was a chance to be social with people with similar interests. I could spend hours at my local comic shops. The staff at CFC, Moose over at Main Vein Comics in Western Massachusetts - I considered these folks my friends and I always looked forward to seeing them.

When I shopped at these stores, there was always such a friendly atmosphere, I would never consider doing what I've done the last two weeks.

I downloaded my comics digitally. Not illegally - I paid for them to read on the new iPad. No storage problems, they look fantastic and I didn't have to wait til after work or the weekend to pick stuff up, since I downloaded them over lunch.

I have nothing against my new adopted comic shop - Midtown Comics in Manhattan - but it's nothing like the smaller shops I used to frequent. I can't head over to my local comic shop anymore to spend an hour shooting the shit with friends. Given how big Midtown Comics is, I may as well be shopping at a big box store.

I felt a twinge of guilt yesterday as I downloaded a half dozen new comics to read. It didn't seem right, as if a part of me died a little but. In the end, though, I don't regret it. The days of heading to a small shop and all that came with it are long gone.

I hope my old friends at the comic shops understand.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Been a While

Redistricting Battle

Torture