Breakfast, anyone?

I'm surprised at how much more often I'm compelled to post here when I'm writing about the food I make. I've always liked to cook, but I didn't really branch out to try some more complicated things until I moved out to Illinois. For the longest time, my menu consisted of steak and pasta, some quesadillas, the occasional chicken parmigiana and scrambled eggs. That all started to change when we moved to Palatine.

On Easter Sunday 2009, Stacey suggested I make huevos rancheros for her, her brother and me for breakfast. The experiment turned out well, and I started to make it more regularly as a special breakfast treat, breaking up the monotony of cereal and other simpler breakfast foods.


I tend to make the dish a bit differently for Stacey than I do for me. For her, I put everything in one big pile: I layer the corn tortillas, pile the refried beans (an addition from the first version), the eggs and the salsa over the tortillas. She cuts it up and eats it with a fork and knife and everything is nice and tidy.


Personally, I don't want to bother with silverware if I don't have to. After all, it just means I'll have to end up cleaning it. So I separate the tortillas and place everything on top so I can fold up the tortillas and eat the dish with my hands.

We've started the day with a good, filling breakfast.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Been a While

Redistricting Battle

Torture