A Long, Strange Book Review: 11/22/63

I've never been much of a Stephen King reader. When I read "The Shining" in college, I couldn't sleep for a week. As an insomniac, I didn't need any more help staying awake. But his last book "Under The Dome," intrigued me and I really enjoyed it, so I decided to try his latest effort, "11/22/63."

The book follows the adventures of a guy from 2011 who goes back in time to try and stop Lee Harvey Oswald from killing JFK.

King starts the book off strong, and for the first few hundred pages of this 800-plus page novel, it's a compelling story. Before stopping the assassination, main character Jake Epping sets out to fix some other injustices. The parts of the book dealing with completely fictional characters flows amazingly well and I had trouble putting the book down.

The problem arises when Epping begins to focus on Oswald. The flow grinds to a halt with agonizing minutia, meant to establish Oswald as the sole shooter of Kennedy and giving the protagonist his reasoning to go after him. Despite a subplot involving a love interest, the story loses its mojo when the setting changes to Texas and just doesn't manage to find its way again.

That is even more evident in the ending, which feels tacked on and placed only to give a more King-like horror feel to the story.

The book could have lost about 200 pages and a couple subplots and it probably would have been a great overall read. As it stands, though, I wouldn't recommend it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Been a While

Redistricting Battle

Torture